Saturday, May 18, 2013

Chocolate plum slice (low fat, low sugar)

I'm currently 39 weeks pregnant and ready to have the baby anytime from now. :D Its a really exciting time and I cant wait to meet the little one. So what does this have to do with chocolate plum slice I hear you cry...





Well at 28 weeks pregnant I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, after having a smooth and uncomplicated pregnancy it came as a real shock.  Thankfully I have been able to manage the condition with my diet and I have had no further issues.  I'm reassured that the condition usually reverses itself once the baby is born but finding recipes and tasty bakes online left me a bit exasperated so I decided to create a recipe of my own.

This low fat, low sugar chocolate plum slice is great on its own or with a cup of tea.  Whilst I haven't had a lot of cravings during pregnancy (apart from asparagus in the early weeks!) something sweet every now and then is always a bit of a treat.

This slice will last for about a week in the fridge, or maybe just a few days if your partner is like mine and keeps pinching a slice or two each day!



I wouldn't usually post about something as personal as this but I found it hard to find any decent recipes that I actually wanted to make and I hope that this recipe will make it easier for someone in the same situation, I hope you like it and give the slice a try. It's delicious regardless of its low fat and sugar content which might put some people off, and you can feel a little less guilty about indulging in this.

Obviously I'm not a qualified doctor or dietician but I found this recipe worked for me and if you are diabetic you could also replace the raw sugar with an appropriate substitute or even leave it out all together as the pure cocoa powder adds a nice chocolate flavour and the plums are sweet enough when they are baked into the cake.

Enjoy and let me know if you bake it.

You will need:
Lightly greased 20cm (8inch) square baking tin
150g nuttelex (or your preferred margarine brand)
90g of raw sugar
2 eggs
100g plain gluten free flour
1 tbspn cornflour
1 teaspoon dried ginger
300g plums, halved and stone removed
10g pure Belgian cocoa powder

Method:
Grease the baking tin and line with baking paper. Turn your oven to 180C to preheat.

Cream the nuttelex and sugar until light and creamy.

Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.

Sift together the plain flour, cocoa powder and cornflour. Fold the flours into the mixture gently along with the dried ginger.

Once the flour mix in incorporated into the batter spread the mixture into the tin evenly.

Top the mixture with the halved plums (and eat any leftover plums :) they are delicious after all)

Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.

Cake keeps well in the fridge for about a week in a container - if you can leave it that long!






1 comment:

  1. Wow Julie hope alls well. My Aunty had gestational diabetes and it did indeed reverse itself hopefully you will be ok too. This recipe looks lovely. I have some plums to use up so this is ideal. looking forward to meeting baby nico! thinking of you! Lots and lots of love Lauren x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete